12.9.11

i salute you

everyone has a story, a place, a moment - a memory they pick up and carefully hold to the light every 11th. 
mine?

i remember when i first knew something was wrong. 

i had walked through the doorway of my eighth grade sewing class, crossed the barrier that would separate me from a world not unlike any other day. hand gripping my turquoise plastic backpack, wisps of my messy dirty-blonde hair falling upon my face, i traipsed in, skipping to the second row to the empty chair next to my best friend. Her eyes were searching mine, her cheeks devoid of color. and the steadiness of my hands made me drop my bag, wondering what happened. all I had to do is look up.

we watched. it's all we could do is watch as it all happened on a tiny little screen that flickered with streams of static, which seemed to remind us of the distance between us and them, the distance which inhibited us from doing anything but watch as the streets diminished behind a cloud of dust and screams. 

I'd like to tip my hat to Mr. Lennon, 
who I think puts well into both words and notes 
the silent prayer each of us whispered 
as we clenched our fists to our hearts that day:

Imagine there's no Heaven 
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people 
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people 
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

John Lennon


NYMag put a great article out, if you have a moment.

@ 2011 by Rachel Lowry. All Rights Reserved

1 comment: